Infection Control | Westminster MA
Infection control and universal precautions protect patients and staff alike. Everyone benefits from rigorous infection control — you, your dentist, and the dental team. The cornerstone in a good and safe dental practice is the element of trust. You should feel free to discuss this topic with Dr. Palermo or Dr. Manzella and receive a straightforward answer.
Drs. Palermo or Manzella and our entire team follow procedures recommended by several federal agencies: the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). These measures include:
- Disinfectant hand soap
- Gloves, protective clothing, protective eye wear and face masks
- Chemical disinfection of countertops and surfaces
- Sterilization of all equipment before every use
- All dental equipment properly bagged and labelled with both internal and external indicators to confirm sterilization
- Daily testing of all sterilization equipment
- Weekly spore testing of all sterilizers performed by an outside lab
- Sterile water used for procedures
- Disinfection of all water lines weekly
- Waterline testing monthly
- Disposable materials for better infection control
- Safety glasses for all patients
- Hand sanitizer available for all staff and patients
- Emergency eye wash stations
- All waste products properly disposed of to protect our environment
- OSHA , EPA and CDC guidelines always followed
We sterilize all reusable equipment, including dental hand pieces. We use an autoclave, a device that kills bacteria and viruses by steam, heat and pressure. Anything that cannot be autoclaved is properly discarded after one use.
We do everything possible to ensure the safety of our patients.
The best defense against disease is information. The more you know, the better equipped you are to make wise decisions about your health care. The more you know about our daily procedures and policies, the more comfortable you will feel.